[Vit-discuss] Brainstorming

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 09:04:07 EST 2005

Michel Martens wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:02:37 -0700, James Britt <james.britt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>*A* community is now on this list, on RedHanded, on LoudThinking, etc.
>>But not *the* community.  And the people frequenting RedHanded,
>>LoudThinking, and so on, really don't need a ruby-lang redesign; they
>>already know their way around.  It's all those people you never hear
>>from who are the real audience.
>

> James, sorry to put it this way, but If you read what I wrote on the
> wiki, you already know that for the use case of "all those people you
> never hear from" I thought of me going to lua.org or haskell.org. I
> now what I look for when I want to learn a new language, so it was
> easy to write it down. You can do the same, write about why would you
> go to ruby-lang.

I read that page.  That's not quite what I was referring to.  Yes, the
newcomer is probably the critical target, but there are others, too, the
many people who are not among the dozen or so posting on RedHanded or
LoudThinking.

When I read a post on this lists that assert, for example, "The idea of
giving an official look, ruby-lang.org subdomains, or a common header to
community sites has been brought up a lot.", I have to wonder.  A lot?
Hardly. Perhaps within a certain sub-group of Rubyists, but it's hardly
been a frequent topic in the main.

My concern is that there may be a narrow perspective overly influenced
by those who just happen to be more vocal.

The question "Why would you go to ruby-lang?" may have things backwards.
  It may be better to determine what resources the full Ruby community
needs, and figure out where they should be.  Then we'll have a better
idea of what belongs on ruby-lang.org.

Offhand, I would sort of expect to be able to go to ruby-lang.org  and
quickly find out where to download the latest version.  But I would not
think or want to go there to read quirky blog entries, even from matz.

James