[Vit-discuss] content refreshness or lack of [was Brainstorming]

David A. Black dblack at wobblini.net
Wed Feb 23 08:25:30 EST 2005

Hi --

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Martin DeMello wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:38:25 -0500, Todd Grimason <todd at slack.net> wrote:
>>
>> 3) less often updates for "bigger" news, ie. conferences, new ruby
>> releases and/or patches, etc. (like php.net)
>>
>> Third is probably in-between the other two for workload, and IMHO kind
>> of what people would expect to see. I've never really gone back to
>> perl or java sites in the past for anything but docs and/or
>> downloads. I don't know that the 'official site' is really a place for
>> chatty community stuff - pointers to it definitely - but maybe not a
>> host for it.
>
> I'd second this - I think the primary purposes of ruby-lang should be
> (i) A place for newcomers to get a good introduction to the language
> and  (ii) The official site for ruby resources (sources, platform
> binaries, documentation, tutorials, advocacy material, faqs, 'real
> world ruby' stories, links to application repositories and the wiki,
> etc)

I would be cautious about the centralization (physically) of
resources, as well as about the notion of "official" resources.
Physical centralization doesn't make sense for many things --
especially advocacy material, which should be as far-flung as
possible, but also documentation and tutorials.  (I can't think of any
reason to go to the trouble of moving the online Pickaxe, Why's
Poignant Guide, Chris Pine's "Programming through Ruby" site, etc., to
a single server; it would just be busy-work).

Similarly, things that are not on the ruby-lang.org server must not be
cast in the role of second-rate or unimportant.  This is where the
notion of "official" materials can be counter-productive.  The
official site should point with pride and joy to the great things that
have been done, and continue to be done, around the net on behalf of
Ruby.  The community has already outgrown -- or simply not bothered
with -- a strict official/non-official division, particularly along
server lines.

In short, I'd describe it not as "the official site for Ruby
resources", but as "the Ruby homepage, which includes some resources"
-- leaving it open-ended.

David

--
David A. Black