[Vit-discuss] Brainstorming

Michel Martens blaumag at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 08:12:07 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:02:37 -0700, James Britt <james.britt at gmail.com> wrote:
> *A* community is now on this list, on RedHanded, on LoudThinking, etc.
> But not *the* community.  And the people frequenting RedHanded,
> LoudThinking, and so on, really don't need a ruby-lang redesign; they
> already know their way around.  It's all those people you never hear
> from who are the real audience.

James, sorry to put it this way, but If you read what I wrote on the
wiki, you already know that for the use case of "all those people you
never hear from" I thought of me going to lua.org or haskell.org. I
now what I look for when I want to learn a new language, so it was
easy to write it down. You can do the same, write about why would you
go to ruby-lang.

The ruby-lang design looks to me a lot like a weblog (a bloated one).
I first got there about a year ago, and I had not problems learning
Ruby. It doesn't look like a website of a dead language even though
there are roughly two posts each month. My proposal is not about
moving ruby-lang to Blogger: I think of how would I like it to be and
in my mind I see an accesible reference, a brief introduction, a
download ruby link and news provided by people with great writing
skills like matz, _why, etc. The newcomer will read the introduction,
jump into the documentation if he liked what it saw, and maybe
download Ruby. I would go there to check an updated version of the
"Ruby Class and Library Reference" or to read matz or _why's thoughts.