[Vit-discuss] Accessibility aspects of design.

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Feb 23 07:31:24 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Ben Giddings wrote:

> Hugh, what are some examples of sites that are well designed for someone who
> likes reading with large font sizes?  Do you like sites that have a "simple"

A couple of examples, 'close to home'

a striking example of more complicated layout that just works,
though the whole of the site is accessible.  I can't remember
anything that stood out as not being accessible, anyway

works very well with large print.  Only slight difficuly is the font
choice for some parts -- e.g. on that page "Read This Paragraph" and
the paragraph itself has rather small "leading" (vertical gaps
between the lines) compared to what I'd expect, which makes it a bit
more difficult to pick the word/letter shapes out.  That may be more
of a problem for (some kinds of) dyslexics, if I understand what
dyslexics have told me.  But generally the text flowing works very
well even into the story, even with the sidebars.

Tested with letters as tall as the width of my thumb (not wishing to
scratch the screen with a proper measuring instrument!) bigger than
I usually use.