[Vit-discuss] Brainstorming

Ben Giddings bg-rubytalk at infofiend.com
Tue Feb 22 22:08:11 EST 2005

On Feb 22, 2005, at 18:50, why the lucky stiff wrote:
> I think it would be cool if we had editors on the main site who weren't
> above inciting a hair of opinion and discussion.  NOT concerning Ruby
> vs. Blank.  AND NOT concerning techniques.
> More like: "Here's a new RCR of interest -- what do you think?" or
> "It's
> been a year or so since any extensions have been added to Ruby stdlib
> --
> take any away or add any??"
> That sort of thing.

I think that would be great, and we could have a blog-like area, or at
least a place where there are things to discuss -- on the other hand, I
strongly think that the front page shouldn't be that blog.  It should
maybe have some (2 or 3) announcements or other newsy type things, but
it should really be geared towards people who aren't yet part of the
Ruby community.  Why?

If you're not part of the Ruby community, but have heard about this
"Ruby" thing, you will probably go to ruby.org (and be sad) then you'll
ask Google where to find Ruby and it will drop you at

 From there, you can discover what Ruby is.  If you're a seasoned
programmer, you can find the "Ruby for ___ programmers" link.  If
you're new to programming, you can find the "Gentle Intro to Ruby"
link.  Etc.

On the other hand, if you're part of the Ruby community, you should
have no trouble remembering that the Ruby weblog / announcements / hot
projects page is actually at http://www.ruby-lang.org/news/ or
http://news.ruby-lang.org/ or even
http://news.ruby-lang.org/current-events/.  Or you might remember that
to get there you go to the main page, click on "What Is Ruby" then
click on "Community".

If you're just getting into Ruby, you may not know these URLs, but
you'll probably be willing to spend a couple of minutes poking around
the site until you find the "current events" or "news" section, and
then you'll bookmark it.

Either way, I don't think we should design the "splash page" (for lack
of a better term) for ourselves.  We should design it for people who
end up there because they don't know where else to go.

The added benefit of this approach is that if we all get busy, or
something happens, and the current-events section doesn't get updated
for a few months, the "splash page" won't look like an abandoned