[Vit-discuss] Brainstorming

Michel Martens blaumag at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 19:49:03 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:15:07 -0700, James Britt <james.britt at gmail.com> wrote:
> The look should be driven by the purpose; I don't see a real value in
> having the Ruby "home page" be or look like a blog.   If there is a news
> item, I expect more people would read that section via an RSS feed than
> by actually visiting the site.

The look should be driven by the purpose, I agree. My premise was "Why
would I go to ruby-lang?", and I sketched some ideas on the wiki
(http://vit.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?RLOrgProjectGoals). Of course
you can have different expectations based on your experience.

About RSS:  I'm subscribed to many feeds, including those from
RedHanded, Loud Thinking, Too-Biased and Francis Hwangs site. In every
case, I first discovered interesting content on their respective
websites. The website precedes the syndication. I visit them often,
because I also like to see the real thing. Again, this is my opinion,
not an axiom.

> > The community now is not on ruby-lang, but on this
> > list, on RedHanded, on LoudThinking, etc.
> What makes you think this?

Among other things, this conversation. But don't get me wrong: I don't
thing it would be a good idea to move everything there. Instead, my
approach would be the opposite: paraphrasing the "Less Software" idea,
I'm after "Less Information". Again, more on this is available at the