[Vit-discuss] Brainstorming

why the lucky stiff ruby-talk at whytheluckystiff.net
Tue Feb 22 18:50:54 EST 2005

Ben Giddings (bg-rubytalk at infofiend.com) wrote:
> Ok, and here's a hard one:
> * Give a reason for *us* to keep using the site
> I don't know about you folks, but I really have no reason to use the
> Ruby site.
> * I get Ruby from my distro
> * I know to go to RAA or rubyforge for libs/apps
> * I know to go to ruby-doc.org or rubycentral.com for API docs, or to
> remember how to use something
> * I have a whole set of other bookmarks for ruby-related things, few of
> which point to ruby-lang.org, and few of which are linked to from
> ruby-lang.org
> I think with a bit of effort we can consolidate a lot of this
> information on the ruby-lang.org site.  The benefit of this is that even
> if you're just going there for the quick reference, you might see an
> announcement about Instiki 3.0 and decide to check it out.

Yeah, totally.  This and what Michel said about where the discussion is

This is the reason I generally don't announce software releases on
RedHanded.  Or anything you see on RWN.  RedHanded normally centers around
peculiarities, hacks, obscure references to rubyist lexicon, all that.
I always envisioned ruby-lang.org covering all the mainstream stuff,
that way RdHd doesn't go extinct.

I think it would be cool if we had editors on the main site who weren't
above inciting a hair of opinion and discussion.  NOT concerning Ruby
vs. Blank.  AND NOT concerning techniques.

More like: "Here's a new RCR of interest -- what do you think?" or "It's
been a year or so since any extensions have been added to Ruby stdlib --
take any away or add any??"

That sort of thing.