[Vit-discuss] Accessibility aspects of design.

Ben Giddings bg-rubytalk at infofiend.com
Tue Feb 22 14:35:44 EST 2005

Wow, you guys got off to a roaring start without me.  That's great!

I think accessibility should be a prime concern, and I'm really happy
that the person raising the issue is someone who would actually use the
feature(s).  I remember a long discussion in ruby-talk at one point
about using "captcha"-things to prevent wiki spam.  One person mentioned
he/she had heard that blind people needed something else, and then a
whole bunch of people tried to design something for the theoretical
"blind user", but no blind users were ever asked for their opinions.

Hugh, what are some examples of sites that are well designed for someone
who likes reading with large font sizes?  Do you like sites that have a
"simple" or "light" option, which is simply H1-H5 tags, HRs and
paragraphs, or do you still want the tables/columns etc. but designed so
that they resize properly when the font size is changed?  In your view,
can the presentation issue be solved by CSS, or should there be a
completely different rendering of the site for people with low vision?

I think this is related to the issue of multiple languages.  In one
case, you have the same content rendered in two very different ways.  In
the other case, you have different content rendered into very similar
looking templates.  Because of this, I think it makes sense to try to
address both issues at once.

Ben