[Vit-discuss] Brainstorming

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Mon Feb 21 10:50:22 EST 2005

Following up on Chad Fowler's point: I think (Due to D.A. Norman's
book) we can keep things simple if we group things:

Download links.  Possibly with download stats.
         Binaries, binaries and more binaries!
         It's very easy to build ruby, but just how many platforms
         can we show have binaries?  More than netbsd?
Devloper links
         Links to bugs database.
         link to RAA, but does the RAA itself come under the remit of this or
         Links to svn/cvs bases for x.y, x.y+1 branches for ruby
                 Possibly with a nice graph of lines of code like
                 the Pike people have http://pike.ida.liu.se/
                 so we can see how things are progressing.
Ruby news links.  Lots of sites to look at for this.
         Obviously want our own RSS feed.  And _why has refs to
         some YAMLified news (!okay/news) feeds, so maybe we
         can yield those, too?
         not?
FAQs, and maybe mirrors of the ruby-doc stuff just in case something
         goes pop!

The problem is that keeping it very minimal will undersell ruby to
some kinds of developer, so I think the ideal is to have all the
information reachable fairly quickly, but no one section should
overwhelm the most-easily-overwhelmed visitor.  Ruby has great
power, and many facilities (Threads, Continuations, Class Instance
Variables) most of which are not apparent at first, but the
interface presented is simple and clear.  I believe the site could
do the same.

         Hugh