[Vit-discuss] Accessibility aspects of design.

David A. Black dblack at wobblini.net
Mon Feb 21 09:09:30 EST 2005

Hi --

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:

> I know that the committees are not fully formed yet, but
> can I put in a plea for accessibility to be considered as
> a high priority?

Absolutely, as far as I and (I trust) everyone here is concerned.
This should be a sine qua non of any plan.  We have colorblind, blind,
visually impaired, and deaf people in our community (just to enumerate
those I am personally aware of for whom the issues you discuss might
be crucial), and the stylesheet mechanism, along with considerations
of underlying design, should be leveraged to make things accessible to

> I might appear to be on a disability rights soapbox here, but my
> point is that the aim of this exercise is to bring more people in to
> the Ruby community, so it would be best to avaid barriers which may
> keep people out.

The only soapbox you're on is the Ruby soapbox, and that's fine :-)
The information and scenarios you've described are enlightening.

David A. Black
dblack at wobblini.net