[Vit-discuss] Accessibility aspects of design.

David A. Black dblack at wobblini.net
Mon Feb 21 09:09:30 EST 2005

Hi --

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:

> I know that the committees are not fully formed yet, but
> can I put in a plea for accessibility to be considered as
> a high priority?

Absolutely, as far as I and (I trust) everyone here is concerned.
This should be a sine qua non of any plan.  We have colorblind, blind,
visually impaired, and deaf people in our community (just to enumerate
those I am personally aware of for whom the issues you discuss might
be crucial), and the stylesheet mechanism, along with considerations
of underlying design, should be leveraged to make things accessible to
everyone.

> I might appear to be on a disability rights soapbox here, but my
> point is that the aim of this exercise is to bring more people in to
> the Ruby community, so it would be best to avaid barriers which may
> keep people out.

The only soapbox you're on is the Ruby soapbox, and that's fine :-)
The information and scenarios you've described are enlightening.

David

--
David A. Black
dblack at wobblini.net