[Vit-discuss] Now, where were we?

why the lucky stiff ruby-talk at whytheluckystiff.net
Fri Feb 18 12:15:39 EST 2005

Hi, everybody.  Consider the wealth of discussion that has been rolling
down the snowhill for the last few months.  It's a raging and
incongruous boulder.  Let's size ite up.

Here are what I consider to be the essentials of the discussion so far:

* The quintessential ruby-talk thread is the "Best ways to accelerate
Ruby's popularity," which lived out its existence for a month or so,
throughout January.
<http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/vframe.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/124596?124484-128974>

* I think the thread (and others which spawned from it at that time)
really got moving when Ben Giddings stripped ruby-lang.org down to its
essentials and everyone started thinking about what those essentials
were exactly.
<http://rubytalk.com/127081>

* I posted a mockup of a hypothetical Ruby.org.  The comments are
especially useful, as the discussion is primarily centered on the page
layout.
<http://redhanded.hobix.com/cult/rubyorgMockup.html>

* Useful criticism from gab: <http://rubytalk.com/127255>

* A related topic deals with an official Ruby manual, which I think is
very pertinent to our work here.  John Long's designs were posted on
RedHanded in early January.
<http://redhanded.hobix.com/cult/rdocWithoutFramesAConcept.html>
<http://redhanded.hobix.com/rdoc/>

* The idea of giving an official look, ruby-lang.org subdomains, or a
common header to community sites has been brought up a lot.
<http://rubytalk.com/127315>
I think the prevailing feeling about this has been that such an umbrella
might be too much work to keep aloof.
<http://rubytalk.com/127674>
But, a good point.
<http://rubytalk.com/127431>

* Discussion of the more dilapidated parts of ruby-lang.org.  I think we
can all agree that its important that ruby-lang.org be up-to-date and
reflect the hectic activity that truly is Ruby.
<http://rubytalk.com/127438>

* Another recurring topic is the state of ruby-doc.org.  There is a
prevailing notion that ruby-doc requires closer attention.  Which is
very interesting, considering that RubyGarden has avoided scrutiny, even
though it suffers from many of its own issues.
<http://rubytalk.com/127285>

* Other related ruby-talk threads:
<http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/vframe.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/127354?127086-129318>
<http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/vframe.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/131252?131030-131530>