Git migration

Tim Pope vim-ruby-devel at
Fri Aug 1 21:21:20 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 10:56:22AM +1000, Doug Kearns wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Tim Pope <vim-ruby-devel at> wrote:
> > Okay, since nobody raised any objections I'm preparing to make the
> > migration to git official.  Here's a status report.
> >
> > Mark created a vim-ruby account on github and pushed up my import to
> > it.  He and I are currently the only collaborators.  Any other
> > maintainers who would like to continue in that role should send me
> > their github accounts so I can add them.  In a few weeks, I'll
> > probably "retire" anyone who hasn't responded.
> I don't feel particularly strongly about it one way or the other, but
> I thought we were planning on using RubyForge for the 'official' repo?

There's no mechanism in rubyforge to switch SCMs.  You could put in a
support request I suppose.  Now that I know group accounts are kosher,
though, I'm slightly biased towards github anyways.  The good news is
it's easy to move a git repository so we're not really committed
either way.

> > I'm going to advise we continue maintaining the changelog until we
> > decide on a replacement practice.  Please write well formed commit
> > messages as well (a subject line around 50 characters or less, a blank
> > line, then an optional body wrapped to 72 characters).
> While I'm quite partial to the GNU ChangeLog format this does seem
> like redundant work.  Aren't there a few tools to generate a GNU
> ChangeLog anyway?

I'm sure we could find or write something if it came down to it.
Meanwhile, I'm now rethinking my suggestion to continue maintaining
it.  A versioned ChangeLog is a constant source of conflicts when