Vim/Ruby release!

Tim Pope vim-ruby-devel at
Tue Jul 15 17:17:15 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 05:11:34PM -0400, Tim Pope wrote:
> Okay, I've done a prototype of the import and put it on github:
> git clone git://
> Before officially switching over, does anyone see anything wrong?  I'm
> looking for things like "you misspelled my name".
> There's a lot of annoying $Id: ...$ chatter in the history.  I can
> squash them all to $Id$ to eliminate that noise if people think that's
> a good idea.  One of the first commits on the new repository needs to
> get rid of them entirely since git doesn't support it.  (Do we need
> some sort of replacement identifier like a version number?)

Err, one more thing.  Is it worth rethinking the ChangeLog policy?
My general feeling is that the git history is so easy to work with,
keeping a ChangeLog is no longer necessary.  But I do see value in
consistently maintaining it throughout the projects history rather
than switching to the SCM log halfway through.  Food for thought.