Syntax highlighting regressions

Doug Kearns dougkearns at
Sun Jun 29 10:42:37 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Tim Pope <vim-ruby-devel at> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 12:26:08AM -0400, Tim Pope wrote:
>> > 3. It seems a minus sign preceding numbers is now being matched as
>> > part of the number highlight group.  Is that intentional?  As the plus
>> > sign is not being matched I assume it isn't.  I did have a
>> > conversation with Bram about this years ago and he seemed to recommend
>> > excluding the sign chars as most of the syntax files do.
>> Yes it was intentional.  I think it looks better and I might have been
>> doing it for some other side effect but I no longer remember so if you
>> want to strip it out, go for it.
> Err, to further clarify, the omission of "+" was unintentional.  I've
> gone ahead and pulled out "-" highlighting for now but I'd really like
> to see it restored at a later point.  Note that -(3) calls the unary -
> operator on 3 but -3 is a literal syntax that does not.  So I think
> highlighting the "-" as part of the number makes sense.

I tend to agree, it's just that I recall having a conversation with
Bram about it and we decided to try and keep it consistent across the
syntax files.  A quick check seems to suggest that most still don't
seem to highlight the sign char.

> One further request.  As soon as the suite is in satisfactory
> condition, could we go ahead and email it to Bram and deal with the
> release notes and release after the fact?

Yes, that was my intention too. ;-)

I'll just give Mark an opportunity to respond first regarding that
rubycomplete.vim patch or, alternatively, we can just send the other
files in the interim if he's busy at the moment.