Overdue release (was Re: E169 after installation)

Tim Pope vim-ruby-devel at tpope.info
Sun Apr 20 17:16:40 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 04:30:39AM +1000, Doug Kearns wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 1:16 AM, Tim Pope <vim-ruby-devel at tpope.info> wrote:
> <snip>
> >  If you have Vim 7.1, you already have the newest version of Vim/Ruby
> >  anyways and the issue is moot.  (Though we're well overdue for a
> >  release *cough*).
> Is it that time again already? ;-)

Yeah, I'm hoping to avoid the crunch we had last year by being ready
*before* the next Vim is on the cusp of release.

> I think I have some stuff lying around that should be committed.
> Hopefully I'll have some time to do so this week.
> I've also noticed some pretty severe regexp related regressions that
> we'll need to look at first.  E.g. x /= y.  Using my supreme powers of
> deduction I'm guessing they're related to some of your recent regexp
> highlighting fixes but haven't had a chance to investigate yet.

Thanks for the catch; I committed a fix.  Let me know if there are
other issues.  I did some investigation into the heuristics Ruby uses
to distinguish between regexps and division and was able to
significantly increase the overall accuracy (no more special casing
method names like gsub, match, etc.). Looks like this one had slipped
through the cracks.

For the record, here's some ambiguous syntax examples and how Ruby
interprets them.  I should be catching everything with the assumption
that no local exists (which only matters in a couple of edge cases).

x/y # /   # division
x/ y # /  # division
x / y # / # division
x /y # /  # regexp (unless x is a local)
x /3 # /  # regexp (unless x is a local)
3 /y # /  # division
x /=y # / # division

Other thoughts:

Remove the $Id$ lines?  The upstream CVS server munges it anyways, and
Bram is not a fan of it.

Switch to Git? :)  Probably not worth it for this particular project
but I'm a huge fan now.