ruby << EOF in vimscript broken in Vim 7.1

Doug Kearns dougkearns at gmail.com
Wed May 16 10:52:31 EDT 2007

On 5/16/07, Tim Pope <vim-ruby-devel at tpope.info> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As the subject states, the following is broken in Vim script syntax
> highlighting in 7.1.  This was overlooked because vim.vim always
> sources the ruby.vim from the current directory, not the one from the
> runtimepath.

Hmmm...doesn't seem like a good idea to me but this inclusion method
is quite common in the syntax files.  What am I missing?

> ruby << EOF
>   def foo
>   end
> EOF
>
> Apparently, the use of TOP is taken to mean vim script, not ruby,
> even though it is declared in vim script.  Most of this is inside the
> "expensive" ruby block stuff.  Skipping this (ala eruby) might be a
> cheap way to fix this problem.  Anyone have any other easy ideas?

Yeah, it sounds like a problem for Chip. :)

> I'll look at the more tomorrow; I just wanted to get it out there so
> people can think about it.

That would be great if you can - I won't be able to get to it until
next week.  Fortunately, you may be the only one currently in need of
a fix. ;-)