Imminent Vim 7.1 release, can we make it?

Tim Pope vim-ruby-devel at tpope.info
Sun May 6 13:01:19 EDT 2007

Hi all.

The first beta of Vim 7.1 is out, and apparently Bram intends on doing
the release in the next few days.  Doug, any chance of us doing a
release in the next 24 hours or so, in time to make it into the next
Vim release?  I'm going to start working on the NEWS file now.  Let me
know if you need any additional help; I'd really like to get the new
eRuby stuff into 7.1.  If/when you email Bram, don't forget to let him
know to add *.erb to the ftdetect script.

Let me take this moment to justify a couple of recent changes I made.
The ruby ftplugin now sports 8 new maps: [[, ]], [], ][, [m, ]m, [M,
and ]M.  The first 4 bounce around class and module declarations, and
the second four around method declarations.  My rationale for their
inclusion is that they cover up sequences that are quite worthless in
Ruby with mappings that mirror their original intent.  This is not
unprecedented:  Bram himself does it in ftplugin/vim.vim.  I'm
generally against mappings in ftplugins but I think these are both
helpful and benign.

If anyone disagrees, by all means strip them out until we can discuss
them more.  I don't want them to hold up the release.

Cheers,
Tim