Drastic proposal: rename eruby to rhtml to make way for an HTML free eruby filetype

Tim Pope vim-ruby-devel at tpope.info
Tue Mar 20 11:38:32 EDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 10:08:38AM +0000, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Tim Pope wrote:
> > Perhaps we should start by making a list of common filetypes combined
> > with eruby, so we can see what the common cases are.  So far I have
> >
> > HTML
> > YAML - used with ERB in Rails
> > C - as mentioned by Hugh Sasse
>   Java -- See Code Generation In Action, mentioned before.
>   There is a school of thought that programmers consider
>   [0, 1, Many] as the numbers that are important.  Thus I suggest
>   C + Java  implies C#, C++, ... and any language which doesn't have
>   it's own templater available.  Things like Perl and Lua may not
>   need ERB...  Which doesn't mean someone won't use it anyway.

I certainly agree, glad you're still keeping idealistic.  But when it
comes down to implementation supporting every possible filetype may
not be possible, so I want to get an idea of what to prioritize.  I
will keep all these "compiled" languages in mind.  As you point out,
uses of eruby with Perl and Lua are corner cases at best, and not
worth worrying about so much.

To all, thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to sit on this a while and
think things over.  Right now, I'm thinking something vaguely like the

An eruby syntax file which highlights the non-Ruby parts as plain text.
This file can be :source'd and combined with other filetypes in a
relatively straightforward manner.

An rhtml syntax file that combines the eruby syntax file and html
syntax file.  This would serve both as an example of how to combine
filetypes and also fulfill the most common (according to me) need of
using html with eruby.

I still haven't decided about ftplugins and indent plugins.  Ideally
they could parallel the syntax files with combining but I haven't
looked into how feasible that is.