More syntax highlighting fun

Tim Pope vim-ruby-devel at
Tue Feb 27 10:49:03 EST 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 08:13:09PM +1100, Doug Kearns wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 07:47:22PM -0600, Tim Pope wrote:
> > I missed these because apparently Debian patches the ftplugin to set
> > iskeyword+=!,? .  The merits of this are debatable so I'm not copying
> > that, but I will be copying the keywordprg=ri they also patched in.
> ruby.vim would then be the only ftplugin setting 'kp'.  Is there a
> reason for that?  Is it considered too specific a setting?

Excellent observation, though I propose we proceed regardless.  Only a
handful of languages have a decent command-line tool for querying
documentation, so it's possible that we're just the first to try it.
If we do a release with it soon, we'll have plenty of time to pull it
back out before Vim 7.1, if it really must come to that.

Speaking of options that might be a bad idea, I've added a
'balloonexpr'.  This isn't set in any other ftplugins either, but
that's hardly surprising since it's a relatively new feature.  Since
you have to actually :set ballooneval to activate it,  I think the
impact of just configuring it will be minimal.  The expression I've
provided works well but all the process spawning is a bit much on
win32 systems.