rubyFunction, rubyClass, and rubyModule no longer highlighted

Doug Kearns dougkearns at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 05:36:49 EST 2007

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 08:07:21PM -0600, Tim Pope wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 12:43:43PM +1100, Doug Kearns wrote:

<snip>

> > > I also have a few other minor changes that make the colors easier to
> > > tweak (things like grouping regexps together as rubyRegexp).
> >
> > Go for it! ;-)
>
> I made a major change to how string interpolation works; try it out.

This has been tinkered with before using the same method you've used
and, from memory, it broke with some reasonably common nested string
constructs.  Unfortunately, when string highlighting goes awry it tends
to result in a rather bright red page. :)  So, the cop-out (err
compromise) was to highlight the simple one line interpolation sequences
and fall back to the standard string highlighting for the multi-line
interpolation sequences - yuck!

Now that we've got some extra man power and motivation on board (thanks)
it would be great to get this sorted out.  I've had a quick look through
the standard library files and with a couple of small exceptions, which
I'll fix, it seems to work fine.  The third party libraries are usually
less straight forward but, as usual, once it's sent out into the world
we're sure to hear about where it doesn't work in quick time. :)

I notice you haven't enhanced the highlighting, in kind, for #@foo and
similar.  I assume that's just an oversight?

My only concern with this change is it seems to be pushing us further
towards a saturated kaleidoscope of colour. ;-)

Thanks,
Doug

PS.  Vim 7 appears to have auto-magically fixed some of our other
outstanding highlighting bugs.  Patience is a virtue...