RSpec and GEMS DSL Keyword Additions to ruby.vim?

Rob Muhlestein rob at
Wed Jan 31 21:49:48 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 14:42 -0800, Sam Roberts wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 10:48:49PM +1100, Doug Kearns wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 04:25:30PM -0500, Rob Muhlestein wrote:
> > > Downloaded the latest ruby-vim but still don't see the following
> > > keywords in ruby.vim. I've added them to my own but would a patch to the
> > > ruby.vim in this project be worth it? If so, I'll submit what I have.
> > >
> > > RSpec DSL:
> > >
> > > GEMS DSL:
> > >   require_gem
> > Personally I'd prefer these (with the exception of require_gem/gem) were
> > not added to ruby.vim.  I think that file should simply be for
> > highlighting the 'core language'.
> I agree.  I don't really mind that more and more functions in my
> libraries show up in pretty lights on my screen, but I do think its a
> bit odd.  Having functions from some libraries hightlighted in vim.ruby
> based on popularity seems weird to me. Lots of libraries use "setup" as
> a method, and the highlighting is going to get more and more
> inconsistent.
> Is there a way to load particular sets of highlighting depending on what
> kind of ruby file is being edited? That would be nice. Or perhaps extra
> files that if they are copied to the local .vim directory, they take
> effect for that user

Yeah, this is so trivial I haven't even thought about it any longer.
It's in my ruby.vim and that's good enough. There aren't enough keywords
to warrant a patch or a rspec.vim, which is a waiste anyway cause can't
easily detect syntax context since rpecs are all .rb files (got flamed
to death even asking if .spec might be something to consider).

Rob Muhlestein