s:rubypath in ftplugin/ruby.vim

Mark Guzman segfault at hasno.info
Mon Jan 22 19:57:39 EST 2007

Tim Pope wrote:

> As you may recall from our IRC discussion, I was quite skeptical :).
> Yesterday, I encountered a user with an actual problem with this.  Vim
> was segfaulting everytime he edited a Ruby file after updating to the
> latest vim-ruby scripts.  This use of the Vim Ruby interface turned
> out to be the problem.  We never pinned down the true cause (probably
> something broken in the way Vim or Ruby was compiled).  The Vim Ruby
> interface has always seemed like a dirty hack.  Often times when using
> it, I get errors like:

This doesn't occur unless rails.vim is loaded. I'm still searching for
the actual cause, but I can confirm that this is the reason under
osx,fbsd, solaris, and linux. I've been testing with the cvs version of
rubycomplete and the rails.vim from your site. This seems to match up
with the user reports also, though I haven't had them run it without
rails.vim.
> Feel free to revert and discuss if you disagree.

Have you actually experienced a crash due to the path discovery code?

  --mark