s:rubypath in ftplugin/ruby.vim

Tim Pope vim-ruby-devel at tpope.info
Mon Jan 22 14:15:24 EST 2007

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 04:39:26PM -0500, Mark Guzman wrote:
> I wasn't sure how people would feel about using the 'interface' for all
> platforms where it was available. The only platform where it really gets
> under my skin happens to be windows. The load time would indeed be
> marginally quicker, so with your (assumed) blessing I'll modify the file
> again to make the change relevant to all platforms.
>    --mark

As you may recall from our IRC discussion, I was quite skeptical :).
Yesterday, I encountered a user with an actual problem with this.  Vim
was segfaulting everytime he edited a Ruby file after updating to the
latest vim-ruby scripts.  This use of the Vim Ruby interface turned
out to be the problem.  We never pinned down the true cause (probably
something broken in the way Vim or Ruby was compiled).  The Vim Ruby
interface has always seemed like a dirty hack.  Often times when using
it, I get errors like:

SystemStackError: (eval):761:in `get_completions': stack level too deep

That's from the rubycomplete script plugin, but I've seen it when
writing my own code as well.  I've also seen segfaults as well
(including the same segfault experienced in the recent post about
rubycomplete).  The very fact a user script can bring down Vim as a
whole suggests something isn't quite right.  I'm reverting this change
to just be used on Windows because this is where the largest gains can
be seen, and because on Windows, there are generally just a few well
known compilations, as opposed to the plethora of custom compilations
(both by distros and by end users) that can be found on other
operating systems.

Feel free to revert and discuss if you disagree.

Any news about a release? :)

Cheers,

Tim