ERuby indenting

Nikolai Weibull now at bitwi.se
Thu Nov 9 17:01:40 EST 2006

On 11/9/06, Tim Pope <vim-ruby-devel at tpope.info> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 09:25:24PM +0100, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> > Do so.  The less I have to do the better :-).  Also, someone seems to
>
> Done.
>
> > have put tabs in the script.  (Or they've been there all along).
> > You're free to replace them with the appropriate number of spaces.
> > I've decided that tabs are a hack and I don't use them any more.  Let
> > the flame-war begin.
>
> I find tabs to be more trouble as their worth as well.  However, my
> understanding is that Bram prefers them to help keep the size of
> runtime files down.  While I dislike tabs, Vim makes it just easy
> enough that I'm willing to oblige (my biggest issues arise when having
> to deal with non-Vim users/environments).

Bram can be a bit overzealous at times (no offense meant - he's right
most of the time).  I have a hard time believing that tab
space-compression-scheme saves us anything over what gzip/bzip2 do.
Especially considering that we're messing up the huffman coding.

> I have gone so far as to add a modeline specifying 'noet' to
> indent/ruby.vim when I committed the patch.  Feel free to remove it; I
> have no stake in the matter.

Ooh, no modelines please.  Modelines are bad, mkay.  Hm, seems like
most files in vim-ruby do have them, though...

As the file seems to be tabs throughout, let's leave it at that then.

  nikolai