ERuby indenting

Tim Pope vim-ruby-devel at tpope.info
Wed Nov 8 15:24:28 EST 2006

Hi, thanks for the response, and your work on indent/ruby.vim!

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 02:54:38PM +0100, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> Perhaps the regular expressions used in indent/ruby.vim should be made
> available to the indent/eruby.vim script as well, to avoid
> duplication.

This sounds like a good idea.  At the same time, it seems like more
trouble than it's worth.  There are only a couple of patterns
eruby.vim uses, and they don't directly match up with the patterns in
ruby.vim.  You'd need to factor out the differences and complicating
matters this way doesn't seem prudent for a couple of short patterns
that are rather unlikely to change.  If eruby.vim becomes more
sophisticated this is definitely worth considering.

I have a couple of questions regarding your indent/ruby.vim myself.
Are you particularly attached to the method of lining up parentheses?
I have altered my local copy to make it possible to disable
(g:rubyindent_match_parentheses) and instead use the brace/bracket
behavior.  Given that the indent doesn't restore properly on the line
after the closing parenthesis, I'd be quite satisfied to just see the
behavior eliminated altogether.  I could furnish a patch for this as
well (or just alter and commit directly) if you are open to it.

On a related note, ) and ] probably belong in indentkeys.

Cheers,
Tim