ANN: New stable release - 2006.07.11

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Jul 19 11:23:32 EDT 2006

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Doug Kearns wrote:

> G'day Hugh,
>
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 03:10:58PM +0100, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Doug Kearns wrote:
> >
> > > I've just sent up vim-ruby-2006.07.11.
> >
> > I hadn't notice vim7.0 was out till today.  So I installed it.
> > I tried to use omni-complete (^X^O) within a ruby file and
> > I got an error E764 omnifunc not set.
>
> Is your version compiled with the Ruby interface? Does :version show
> +ruby? I would actually have expected "Error: Required vim compiled with

Ah, right. I have -ruby.  (I wonder why it doesn't detect ruby at config
time? (rhetorical, way off topic). OK, I'll have to look how to turn that
on and rebuild.  Oh, that seems to be
./configure --with-features=huge && gmake && gmake test
to do what I want.  That's in progress as I type this.

> +ruby" with the default Vim 7.
>
> > So I grabbed this release, installed the gem, and tried again.
> > I got the same message.
>
> I recently changed this so that 'omnifunc' is not set if vim doesn't
> have +ruby.

OK

> > I've not been at the sharp end of vim development for a while,
> > so I've probably missed something.  Do I need to set something
> > else?  I suppose the facility has a cost so it isn't on out-of-the-box?
>
> It is configured to run 'out of the box' if vim was compiled with the
> Ruby interface.

Isn't the ruby interface a separate function from editing Ruby files?
IIRC the ruby interface allowed one to do vim scripting in ruby, whereas
one may still want omnicompletion when working on Ruby code.  Or is the
connection more intimate than that?  Maybe I'm thinking of
--enable-ruby-interpreter?

> > [And if I might ask something off topic, can I set spellang=en_gb
> > globally, so I can just set spell, set nospell to turn it on and
> > off without having to tell it which langauge all the time? Or something
> > that doesn't involve a mapping, so it will work wherever vim is.]
>
> I'm not sure I understand...why can't you set this in your .vimrc?

The help says:

  This command switches on spell checking: >

          :setlocal spell spelllang=en_us

  This switches on the 'spell' option and specifies to check for US English.

....[Click!] -- I thought this was setting a sub option in spell,
to set the language, but it's the same as
 set et sw=2
so it's setting two different options at the same time.  Forget I asked!
My brain is turning to cheese in this heat.  Clearly I *can* set
spelllang=en_gb in my .vimrc and toggle spell as usual.

> > Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Doug

        Hugh