PATCH: determine word to be completed like Readline

Doug Kearns dougkearns at gmail.com
Mon May 8 07:20:33 EDT 2006

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 05:07:21PM -0400, Mark Guzman wrote:
> Doug Kearns wrote:

<snip>

> The readline regex does fix the single element problem, it also breaks
> x=a<C-x><C-o>+b+c.

Yes - an example of some of the improvements we could make to that
pattern.

> I generally put spacing in my code, so I'm not worried about x=a+b+c,
> but it was an item you raised earlier.

I'm a pedant and a contrary one at that. ;-)

> As far as using irb/complete.rb directly, I think there are a good
> number of differences precluding that. Its possible,
> but I'm not sure there would be much benefit. The actual method list
> evaluation code in complete.rb would have to be rethought.
> Classloading would have to be rethought amongst other things. I'm all
> for providing patches to complete.rb, but I don't see
> complete.rb going the same place. I'd like to add some more information
> to what we put in the dictionary, along with variable completion.

Is there any reasonable way, ignoring performance issues, to get the
'binding' at the completion point?

> The second array clause was a test item left in by me. I've applied the
> patch you sent and removed that array code.

I was thinking of it more as a discussion point. I assume it makes sense
then? ;-)