complete status

Doug Kearns dougkearns at gmail.com
Mon May 1 03:06:14 EDT 2006

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 01:07:18PM -0400, Mark Guzman wrote:
> Doug Kearns wrote:

<snip>

> > If you change the superclass of Foobar after the buffer has been
> > 'loaded' attempting completion results in:
> >
> > Error detected while processing function rubycomplete#Complete:
> > line   22:
> > TypeError: (eval):71:in `load_buffer_class': (eval):1:in `load_buffer_class': superclass mismatch for class Foobar
> >
> > Which is inconsistent with its behaviour prior to changing the
> > superclass.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Doug
> >
> Doug,
>   Unfortunatly I can't seem to reset the ruby session in vim. So once
> you load a class definition your stuck with the basic definition. What
> you did attempted to reload the class, which would add on any new
> methods normally. Its inconsistent because its effectively invalid,
> imagine defining Foobar in a file and then later in the file defining it
> again with a superclass. Ruby would spit out the same error. I'm not
> entirely sure what can be done in that case.

Yes. I was really just wondering if we should, in the long term, be
catching these errors and outputting a more 'meaningful' error message.

I'm not sure allowing these to leak out as Vim errors is the best
approach. You'd be surprised how many users won't be able/willing to
determine the cause of the problem and see the script as simply broken.

Hopefully, I'll have some time to help you out soon...hopefully.

Thanks,