comment indentation

Nikolai Weibull now at bitwi.se
Fri Apr 21 16:15:40 EDT 2006

On 4/21/06, Will Rogers <wjrogers at terpalum.umd.edu> wrote:
> On 4/21/06, Nikolai Weibull <now at bitwi.se> wrote:
> > On 4/21/06, Will Rogers <wjrogers at terpalum.umd.edu> wrote:
> > > Simply put, whenever I go to start a line with a comment, the line
> > > jumps all the way to the left as soon as I type the '#'.
> >
> > It sounds like you don't have the right indentation file installed.
>
> I did have the right files installed, and I did read the documentation
> :P  Thanks to your feedback though, I knew to look to my configuration
> for the problem.  Some experimentation traced it to smartindent.  Got
> rid of that and everything is grand.

Ah!

We used to disable 'smartindent' in indent/ruby.vim, but that's really
not the place to do so so it was removed.  The thing about
'smartindent' is that it should only be set in an indent script
explicitly, not in a users vimrc or similar.  'Smartindent' stems from
a time before indent scripts and is quite useless under most
circumstances today.

Perhaps we should add a comment about 'smartindent' in some sort of
FAQ or perhaps to the installation documentation.

Will: thanks for giving us an explanation as to what the cause was.

  nikolai