comment indentation

Nikolai Weibull now at
Fri Apr 21 12:24:28 EDT 2006

On 4/21/06, Will Rogers <wjrogers at> wrote:
> Simply put, whenever I go to start a line with a comment, the line
> jumps all the way to the left as soon as I type the '#'.  If I then
> exit insert mode and do a == or other command that re-indents the line
> in question, it returns to its proper indentation level.  What's going
> on here?  It's terribly annoying.

It sounds like you don't have the right indentation file installed.
In our indent/ruby.vim we set the 'indentkeys' option to a value that
suits Ruby.  It does not include '#' as it only makes sense for C and
a few other languages.  However, it is in the 'indentkeys' option by
default, so it seems that your setup isn't quite right.

Please read the installation documentation.  If you're still unable to
get this to work correctly, I'm going to leave this to Doug and/or

  nikolai (who, without resentment, wonders how hard it can actually be)