preliminary rubycomplete documentation for review

Doug Kearns dougkearns at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 10:42:26 EDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:19:25PM +1000, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> On 4/20/06, Doug Kearns <dougkearns at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >  4. After ':' or ':foo'                    Symbol name (beginning with 'foo')
> > >
> > > How does that sound?  Completing symbols is completely different to
> > > completing methods, so it's confusing to read them lumped together.
> >
> > Sounds good to me. I've added it to doc/ft-ruby-omni.txt
>
> So this is user documentation, not to be inserted into insert.txt like
> Mark distributed to us?  It's the user's responsibility to generate it
> after installation?

Well it's possibly both now. I used to have the syntax documentation in
syntax/doc/ruby.txt but since we're also adding some for omni completion
I thought it might be a good idea to make them more obviously accessible
to the user. I've sent the contents of ft-ruby-omni.txt to Bram and he's
already added it to insert.txt.

If you think it's confusing there's no need to package up the doc
directory for release. It just seems like a good idea to have it in the
repository too - for when we're all long gone...bus or no bus. ;-)

> > > Completing symbols seems like a pointless feature.  When I want to
> > > complete a symbol, Vim's normal text completion (CTRL-P in insert
> > > mode) does the job just fine.  I hate to think of the processing
> > > involved in getting all the symbol names and narrowing it :)  Not that
> > > I've tried it, though.
> >
> > Am I right in assuming this will be useful for rails users, in
> > particular?
>
> Rails uses a lot of symbols, to be sure, but once you've typed it once
> anywhere in any buffer, symbol completion is only a CTRL-P away :)

Sure but how many times are you going to call something like url_for in
a simple controller and with the same 'options'? I assume, from what
Mark was saying, he has some way to provide the appropriate symbols.

Note: I've only ever looked at Rails once and this was the first method
I could find in my old rails 'sandbox'. ;-)