preliminary rubycomplete documentation for review

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 09:19:25 EDT 2006

On 4/20/06, Doug Kearns <dougkearns at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  4. After ':' or ':foo'                    Symbol name (beginning with 'foo')
> >
> > How does that sound?  Completing symbols is completely different to
> > completing methods, so it's confusing to read them lumped together.
>
> Sounds good to me. I've added it to doc/ft-ruby-omni.txt

So this is user documentation, not to be inserted into insert.txt like
Mark distributed to us?  It's the user's responsibility to generate it
after installation?

> > Completing symbols seems like a pointless feature.  When I want to
> > complete a symbol, Vim's normal text completion (CTRL-P in insert
> > mode) does the job just fine.  I hate to think of the processing
> > involved in getting all the symbol names and narrowing it :)  Not that
> > I've tried it, though.
>
> Am I right in assuming this will be useful for rails users, in
> particular?

Rails uses a lot of symbols, to be sure, but once you've typed it once
anywhere in any buffer, symbol completion is only a CTRL-P away :)

Gavin