preliminary rubycomplete documentation for review

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 04:44:25 EDT 2006

On 4/20/06, Mark Guzman <segfault at hasno.info> wrote:

> Gavin,
> : will complete symbols. If done with no preceding text it will provide
> a list of global symbols.

[...]

>  3. After '.' or '::'                 Methods applicable to the object being
>                                        dereferenced

 4. After ':' or ':foo'                    Symbol name (beginning with 'foo')

How does that sound?  Completing symbols is completely different to
completing methods, so it's confusing to read them lumped together.

Completing symbols seems like a pointless feature.  When I want to
complete a symbol, Vim's normal text completion (CTRL-P in insert
mode) does the job just fine.  I hate to think of the processing
involved in getting all the symbol names and narrowing it :)  Not that
I've tried it, though.

Gavin