preliminary rubycomplete documentation for review

Mark Guzman segfault at
Thu Apr 20 02:49:09 EDT 2006

Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> My suggested replacement for the relevant section is below.  I aimed
> for a style that's consistent with the rest of the Vim online help.
> It should be viewed in Vim with ':set filetype=help' to see the highlighting.
> BTW Mark, your prelim documentation mentioned that object specific
> completion would be done after any of {. : ::}.  What is ":" supposed
> to do?
> Cheers,
> Gavin
> P.S. Please only send the relevant text in future.  The attachment
> before was so large that Mailman asked me to approve it before it
> could be posted to the list!
: will complete symbols. If done with no preceding text it will provide
a list of global symbols.
Sorry about the file-size, I'll snip the segment next time.

Here's a slightly updated version of the doc:

== begin

RUBY                                                    *ft-ruby-omni*

Completion of Ruby code requires that vim be built with |+ruby|.

Ruby completion will parse your buffer on demand in order to provide a list of
completions.  These completions will be drawn from modules loaded by 'require'
and modules defined in the current buffer.

The completions provided by CTRL-X CTRL-O are sensitive to the context:

          CONTEXT                          COMPLETIONS PROVIDED ~

 1. Not inside a class definition    Classes, constants and globals

 2. Inside a class definition        Methods or constants defined in the class

 3. After '.', '::' or ':'           Methods applicable to the object being
                                       dereferenced, Symbols in the case of ':'

 - Vim will load/evaluate code in order to provide completions.  This may
   cause some code execution, which may be a concern.
 - In context 2 above, anonymous classes are not supported.
 - In context 3 above, Vim will attempt to determine the methods supported by
   the object.
 - Vim can detect and load the Rails environment for files within a rails
   project. The feature is disabled by default, to enable it add
   let g:rubycomplete_rails = 1
   to your vimrc

== end

sic transit gloria et adulescentia