vim api

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 19:08:19 EST 2005

On 12/9/05, Jeff Rose <jeff at rosejn.net> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>   I just asked the vim-dev list, but then I realized this might be a
> better place.  I've been working on a vim plugin using the ruby module,
> and its required learning and using a fair amount of vim script.  Anyone
> know why at least the rest of the built-in functions haven't been
> included in the ruby API?  It would make it a lot easier to jump in and
> write useful scripts...

Hi Jeff,

Not that I don't welcome the question, but the vim-dev mailing list is
actually more appropriate.  I doubt anyone on this list has the
expertise to improve the Ruby API within Vim, nor the authority in Vim
development to make it happen.

Here's my take on your actual question.  As far as I know, there is
not a single significant vim plugin out there written using the Ruby
module.  You are at the cutting edge.  Probably other people have
tried, but seen how limited the API is and given up.

The other problem with using the Ruby API, of course, is that it's not
typically available in the Vim that people run -- they need to compile
Vim themselves with the +ruby option.  So your potential audience is
limited.

I'd love to see Vim implement better Ruby support, but it's probably
not seen as a priority.  After all, are people even using the Perl,
Python, and TCL APIs?  There's great potential for all these things,
but there's a catch-22 going on: people won't write the plugins until
the support is there; the support won't be there until there's a clear
demand.

So my advice is to persist on the vim-dev list and do whatever you can
to improve the Ruby API.

Also, if you know of any plugins written in Ruby/Python/etc., I'd be
interested to hear of them.

Cheers,
Gavin