installing vim-ruby

Mark Volkmann r.mark.volkmann at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 15:44:13 EDT 2005

On 10/12/05, Doug Kearns <dougkearns at gmail.com> wrote:
> G'day Mark,
>
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 02:41:11PM -0500, Mark Volkmann wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > When I start a new vim session and edit a .rb file, it doesn't appear
> > to have vim-ruby features enabled. For example, when I enter "if name
> > == "John" and press shift-Enter, it moves to the next line and indents
> > two spaces, but it does not add "end" to the subsequent line.
>
> As Nikolai has pointed out this is not yet included with the distributed
> files. Are you particularly interested in this sort of functionality
> being included or were you just testing the installation?

Both. I was reading quickly when I saw that functionality described at
http://rubygarden.com/ruby?VimRubySupport. I incorrectly assumed that
it was describing customizations to vim provided by vim-ruby. I
understand now that it was describing customizations beyond what
vim-ruby provides.

I think it would be nice if each release of vim-ruby had a version
number associated with it and there was a vim command you could run to
find out what version you have ... like running "ruby -v" to find out
what version of Ruby is installed. Maybe there's already a way to do
that and I just haven't stumbled across it.

Is there a web page that provides a complete list of the features that
vim-ruby provides?

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Partner, Object Computing, Inc.