Indenting here documents (was Re: [ANN] Vim/Ruby Configuration Files, 2005.10.05)

Hugh Sasse hgs at
Wed Oct 12 12:01:08 EDT 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> > Hugh Sasse wrote:
> > It is working for me in so far as it will leave the EOF where I put
> > it.  If it starts out (incorrectly) indented it will remain indented. If
> > everything is left-justified (all lines start in column 1 (pausing
> > this is much better than before because indenting doesn't break
> > stuff that works.  Since I can't figure out how to do the ideal,
> > this is enough to make me happy.
> Yes, the indentation code leaves all strings as they were.  It simple
> returns the indent(".").  There’s really no other way of doing it
> without a lot of messing about.  I mean, a user has probably indented a

Well, as I said, I'm not up to doing that messing about.  This doesn't
break working code now, so I'm happy.  Thank you.

> string the way they have for a reason.  The indentation code isn’t meant
> to work for stuff that has had all its indentation removed.  (Where do
> you get these files without indentation anyway?),

I don't get them usually, but I was stress testing it, and it
performed very well.  My remarks about it not doing "the ideal"
were really to explain to Doug about what wasn't happening, because
his test failed, and that might have been due to his expectations,
rather than an actual failure.

>         nikolai
        Thank you,