installing vim-ruby

Mark Volkmann r.mark.volkmann at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 15:41:11 EDT 2005

Here's what I did to install vim-ruby.

gem install vim-ruby
ruby vim-ruby-install.rb (from my RUBY_HOME/bin directory)

I don't get errors from either of these.

I have the following in my .vimrc file (_vimrc under Windows).

      set nocompatible      " We're running Vim, not Vi!
      syntax on             " Enable syntax highlighting
      filetype on           " Enable filetype detection
      filetype indent on    " Enable filetype-specific indenting
      filetype plugin on    " Enable filetype-specific plugins

When I start a new vim session and edit a .rb file, it doesn't appear
to have vim-ruby features enabled. For example, when I enter "if name
== "John" and press shift-Enter, it moves to the next line and indents
two spaces, but it does not add "end" to the subsequent line.

I've tried this under both Windows and Fedora Core 4 Linux and get the
same result.

Under Linux in my ~/.vim directory I have
  compiler
    eruby.vim
    rubyunit.vim
    ruby.vim
  ftdetect
    ruby.vim
  ftplugin
    eruby.vim
    ruby.vim
  indent
    eruby.vim
    ruby.vim
  syntax
    eruby.vim
    ruby.vim

Am I missing a step to get vim-ruby installed correctly?

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Partner, Object Computing, Inc.