ANN: New stable release

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Fri Sep 16 06:59:32 EDT 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Doug Kearns wrote:

> G'day Hugh,
>
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 11:15:56PM +0100, Hugh Sasse wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Doug Kearns wrote:
>>
>>> I've just sent up vim-ruby-2005.09.15.
>>
>> I've given this a spin on an XP machine.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> I tried using an eruby
>> file and observed from ftdetect/ruby.vim that *.erb is not included
>> with *.rhtml.
>
> Are *.erb files the same as *.rhtml files or are they simply Ruby
> embedded in _any_ other filetype?

I don't think there's an official definition for these extensions,
but I use .erb for _any_ other filetype, when .rhtml is not
appropriate.  I don't know what others do.  (Ruby is very Unixy (for
want of a word!) and people don't discuss extension names that much
:-))

>> So I added that to where it had been installed (in my
>> vimfiles directory).  I then re-edited my thing.erb file, and it
>> still came up as being xml.
>
> Is it actually an XML file other than XHTML? Currently only X(HTML) is
> supported.

Yes,  I've be exploring Festival speech and this is a sable file. If
that means nothing, then its just XML, which I've ERB'd to factor
out repetition.

>> So I edited C:/Program Files/vim/vim63/filetype.vim and added an
>> entry mapping "*.erb,*.rhtml\t\tsetf eruby" and this worked.
>
> OK, seeing as you seem to think it's now working I'll assume it was an
> XHTML file which was incorrectly being picked up as filetype=XML. I'm
> just guessing but it sounds as though scripts.vim is setting the
> filetype and ftdetect/ruby.vim isn't getting a chance. Could you send me
> the file privately?

I'll see if I can find a more concise example.  There's lots of junk
in it, but it was the first that I was playing with.  Will you still
need this if the ".erb implies html" assumption is false?

>> The other thing that didn't work as expected was that the installer
>> didn't know that C:/Program Files/vim/vim63/ was a goot place to
>> look..  Maybe I'm keeping  it in a silly place, but vim seems happy
>> enough.
>
> That's intentional as I don't think that is "a good place to look". ;-)
> I don't do sysadmin work though so maybe I'm missing something. Why
> would you want to install the files into $VIMRUNTIME? Are you running

I only have one a/c on the machine just now, but I'd like others to
get the benefit.  Similary on Unix.  I usually put the vim stuff to
be system wide so everyone benefits, and if I have to help them I
can spin up vim and have it work sensibly.  [cf the PragProg advice
about use one edior and learn it well: you don't want it to change
too much just because you're logged in as someone else (who never
uses that editor, anyway).]

> multiple versions of Vim and trying to restrict the use of the vim-ruby

I was running 62 and 63 at the same time for a while, but I thought
it would install in the latest.

> files to a single version, perhaps? If you keep it in $VIMRUNTIME the
> next time you update Vim you'll overwrite the vim-ruby files. While the

Which is fair enough.  I know we've had problems with keeping in
sync with the vim distro before, so I usually install again after
updating vim.  Not that I've updated vim that often, only been using
it since about 5.7.

> Vim release might have the latest files it's certainly not going to have
> newer versions than this project. ;-)
>
>>          * * *
>>
>> Now, earlier today I installed the gem on a sun system.  It told me
>> to run the installer afterwards, but didn't remind me where it was
>> hidden.  Is that relatively easy to fix?  When I get a moment I'll
>> poke around with gem environment....
>
> I'm assuming that people running rubygems will have $GEM_HOME/bin in
> their PATH. Have you just blown that assumption out of the water? ;-)

Ah. Maybe I've not configured my settings correctly:
GEM_HOME: Undefined variable.
whereis gem =>
gem: /usr/local/bin/gem
gem environment

Rubygems Environment:
   - VERSION: 0.8.11 (0.8.11)
   - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
   - GEM PATH:
      - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
   - REMOTE SOURCES:
      - http://gems.rubyforge.org

> When you say "remind me" are you referring to the INSTALL instructions?
gem query -l -n vim =>

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

vim-ruby (2005.09.15, 2005.07.27)
     Ruby configuration files for Vim.  Run 'vim-ruby-install.rb' to
     complete installation.

So it has detected the need for this?

> Thanks,
> Doug
>
> PS. We haven't had the usual flood of post-release discussion so I'm
> hoping all is, generally, running smoothly...

Or those in .ac.?? and .edu are going nuts in preparation for the
start of the academic year and have not had chance to tackle this.

         Thank you,
         Hugh