ANN: New stable release

Doug Kearns dougkearns at
Fri Sep 16 05:30:54 EDT 2005

G'day Hugh,

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 11:15:56PM +0100, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Doug Kearns wrote:
> > I've just sent up vim-ruby-2005.09.15.
> I've given this a spin on an XP machine.

> I tried using an eruby
> file and observed from ftdetect/ruby.vim that *.erb is not included
> with *.rhtml.

Are *.erb files the same as *.rhtml files or are they simply Ruby
embedded in _any_ other filetype?

> So I added that to where it had been installed (in my
> vimfiles directory).  I then re-edited my thing.erb file, and it
> still came up as being xml.

Is it actually an XML file other than XHTML? Currently only X(HTML) is
> So I edited C:/Program Files/vim/vim63/filetype.vim and added an
> entry mapping "*.erb,*.rhtml\t\tsetf eruby" and this worked.

OK, seeing as you seem to think it's now working I'll assume it was an
XHTML file which was incorrectly being picked up as filetype=XML. I'm
just guessing but it sounds as though scripts.vim is setting the
filetype and ftdetect/ruby.vim isn't getting a chance. Could you send me
the file privately?

> The other thing that didn't work as expected was that the installer
> didn't know that C:/Program Files/vim/vim63/ was a goot place to
> look..  Maybe I'm keeping  it in a silly place, but vim seems happy
> enough.

That's intentional as I don't think that is "a good place to look". ;-)
I don't do sysadmin work though so maybe I'm missing something. Why
would you want to install the files into $VIMRUNTIME? Are you running
multiple versions of Vim and trying to restrict the use of the vim-ruby
files to a single version, perhaps? If you keep it in $VIMRUNTIME the
next time you update Vim you'll overwrite the vim-ruby files. While the
Vim release might have the latest files it's certainly not going to have
newer versions than this project. ;-)

>          * * *
> Now, earlier today I installed the gem on a sun system.  It told me
> to run the installer afterwards, but didn't remind me where it was
> hidden.  Is that relatively easy to fix?  When I get a moment I'll
> poke around with gem environment....

I'm assuming that people running rubygems will have $GEM_HOME/bin in
their PATH. Have you just blown that assumption out of the water? ;-)

When you say "remind me" are you referring to the INSTALL instructions?

PS. We haven't had the usual flood of post-release discussion so I'm
hoping all is, generally, running smoothly...