Installation script's target directory

Doug Kearns dougkearns at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 11:02:06 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 02:36:38PM +0100, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Doug Kearns wrote:
>
> >Currently it appears that we're attempting to install the vim-ruby
> >runtime files into $VIMRUNTIME which should really only contained the
> >default distributed files.
>
> Well, it should really only contain the system-wide settings
> determined by the admin(s) of the machines mounting this stuff....

My understanding is that these should really go in $VIM/vimfiles (eg.
/usr/share/vim/vimfiles). $VIM/vimfiles is designed as the system-wide
preferences directory. It precedes $VIMRUNTIME in the 'runtimepath', is
usable by all Vim installations, and survives upgrades.

:help runtimepath

My intent would be to offer $VIM/vimfiles and $HOME/.vim as the default
installation directories. I guess we'll have to parse "env vim
--version" to determine $VIM. What's the best way on Windows?

<snip>

> Also, when users ask me for help it
> is nice to spin up vim and have it work sensibly, even if they
> prefer to use EMACS normally when I'm not doing stuff for them.

I hope you're working your magic on them...

<snip>

> If this is to change, I think we need a way to make it optional, and
> it would seem strange to me if most users didn't want to utilise
> this stuff, so I'd have it default to current behaviour.

Of course, the user will still be able to specify any installation path
they wish.

> Then there's the case of the admins who've installed Ruby and Vim
> for some users, and get pestered to update things for them from time
> to time.  Their job should be kept easy, too.

Yes, this is intended to make it easier. ;-)

This only came up because I was considering a release and thought I
should check the installation script. I've never used it before and
noticed that it offered me /usr/share/vim/vim63 as the default
installation path and completely ignored my local installation. I
thought I'd uninstalled the system-wide version...

<snip>

Thanks,