New release?

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at
Sun Sep 19 11:47:17 EDT 2004

On Wednesday, September 8, 2004, 8:36:10 AM, Gavin wrote:

>>> Would it be possible to organise a new stable release, and send it
>>> upstream?

>> Yep, I'm onto it.  Next day or so.

> Well, y'know.... next week or so :)

> I started on it, but got stuck trying to generate two things instead
> of one:
>  a) a ZIP file with \r\n line endings;
>  b) a TGZ file with \n line endings and appropriate permissions set

OK, progress report.  I've created a new installer:

If you download a tarball, you can install the config files with

    ruby bin/vim-ruby-install.rb

This properly (I think) handles line endings, of which Vim is very
sensitive, and file permissions.

Better yet, I'm going to release this package as a gem, so you can do

    gem install --remote vim-ruby

The gem will be versioned with the date, like 2004.09.20.

It's all in CVS, but I need to update the README and have run out of
time tonight.  Feel free to have a go, though:

    rake package
    gem install etc/packages/vim-ruby-2004.09.xx.gem

P.S. Here's the ChangeLog entry:

   2004-09-20  Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair at>

        * bin/vim-ruby-install.rb: added
        * Rakefile: 'rake package' generates TGZ and GEM
        * install.rb: removed
        * build.rb: removed