PATCH: added new Test::Unit compiler plugin

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Thu May 6 08:01:03 EDT 2004

I'm coming in to the middle of this, caveat lector (!Hannibal)
On Thu, 6 May 2004, Doug Kearns wrote:

> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 09:43:27AM -0400, Sam Roberts wrote:
> > Wrote Doug Kearns <djkea2 at mugca.its.monash.edu.au>, on Wed, May 05, 2004 at 05:02:42PM +1000:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > Well, why not set it to the genuine article?
> >
> > But I had it set to the genuine article, then the ruby support files
> > changed it!
>
> The 'support files' change all sorts of options that you might have
> previously set - :help after-directory

Can this be set in individual files with modeline    vim:makeprg=...
sort of thing?

        [...]
> > I'm under the impression that these files are going to be part of vim6,

6.3 if we get under the wire!

        [...]
> > and the tested code won't throw any
> > exceptions, its just test that will fail
>
> You seem to be missing my multiple previous statements that I agree that
> the 'efm' needs to be fixed so that it supports errors as well as
> failures, and it will be when I get to it, or sooner if someone else
> does... :-)

I think I'm the person who created the first version of this, but I
must add that having looked at it again (a while ago) I did not
understand how to improve it.

> > b - the file you are editing has the tests at the end using the if
> > $0==__FILE__ trick
>
> No, because _both_ compiler plugins are designed to be run with a target
> file. For example, the current rubyunit compiler plugin should be run
> like so:
>
> :make tests.rb
>
> where tests.rb is any file you like. You don't need to be editing it,
> nor does it need to be loaded in a vim buffer.
>
> > c - you're editing the "main" file of a ruby script, and the script
> > is runnable with no arguments
>
> No, see above. Why does it have to be runnable with no arguments?

See The Selfish Class:
http://www.joeyoder.com/papers/patterns/Selfish/selfish.html
in particular
http://www.joeyoder.com/papers/patterns/Selfish/selfish.html#WorksOutOfTheBox

summarised:
<quote>
Therefore, design objects so that they will exhibit reasonable
behavior with default arguments. Provide everything a programmer
needs to try out these objects. Make it as easy as possible for
designers to see a working example.
</quote>

i.e. it should just work, in the ideal case.

> > And I will do something like this, but I'll have to write my own
> > compiler file, and figure out enough about error formats to merge
> > the error formats in ruby.vim and rubyunit.vim.
>
> Well, I'm going to have to do that if you don't! :-)

See above for my case, alas.
        [...]
> >    (which is dicy, still, what if I have makeprg is set to "cook", and I
>
> Ah, a fellow aegis user perhaps?

Not Aegis as in Apollo, surely?

        Hugh