:compiler in the ftplugin

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Wed May 5 20:10:18 EDT 2004

> Gavin,
> In case you haven't been following the "PATCH: added new Test::Unit
> compiler plugin" thread I'll mention it again here; should the ftplugin
> set the compiler to 'ruby'. I'm not sure it should but I just wanted to
> make sure that it wasn't an oversight.

I've been skimming those messages and not really taking them in.  I'm
happy to make that setting if you think it's a good one.  I'm not really
able to make an independent opinion at the moment :)  BTW I never use
Vim's compiler capability for anything, which explains why I don't follow
the thread closely.  Maybe I should start using it.

As an aside, I generally find it difficult to set up a Ruby project with
unit tests in a simple and intuitive way.  If these Vim settings can help
in some way I'd love to start using them.

If you can give me a really simple explanation of the current state of the
art in Vim/Ruby/Test::Unit compiler settings, I'd really appreciate it
(and would update documentation accordingly).