Some comments and questions on the VimRubySupport wiki page

Doug Kearns djkea2 at mugca.its.monash.edu.au
Wed May 5 03:15:57 EDT 2004

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 03:08:40PM -0400, Sam Roberts wrote:
> Here's the page, my comments are inline:
>
> > <h3>Special files that come with Vim</h3>

> > * <tt>$VIMRUNTIME/syntax/ruby.vim</tt>
> > * <tt>$VIMRUNTIME/indent/ruby.vim</tt>
> > * <tt>$VIMRUNTIME/ftplugin/ruby.vim</tt>
>
> Question:
>
> - in ftplugin/ruby.vim sw=2, so why not tabstop=2? I usually think of
>   the two working in tandem.

:help tabstop provides an explanation.

> This list doesn't mention:
>
> * <tt>$VIMRUNTIME/compiler/ruby.vim
> * <tt>$VIMRUNTIME/compiler/rubyunit.vim
>
> I guess they don't actually come with vim, now, but maybe soon? And they
> are in cvs, and incredibly useful (though I'm having trouble useing them
> :-( see below).
>

> > <h3>Customising</h3>

> Spelling------------------------------------------------- "placed"

<snip>

Please, feel free to edit the page.

> But, there are some wrinkles with this:
>
> - I want BOTH error formats, the one for rubyunit, and the one for ruby
>   (since you can see both when you run unit tests!), how would I do
>   this?

In short you/we're going to have to create a new 'efm' which is a
combination of the two...

> - If you want to use the "compiler" error formats, but NOT modify your
>   make program (your programming language choice and your make program
>   choice are orthogonal), how would you do this?

Compiler plugins are generally defined as a combination of 'efm' and
'makeprg' settings. However these options _can_ be changed after setting
them with :compiler

> - by changing makepgr to ruby, it causes the appearance of a "hang" when
>   one does ":make" (ruby, without arguments, tries to read stdin, so it
>   just sits there).

Yes. I generally don't like setting the makeprg to something like
makeprg=command\ % because it lacks flexibility. I'm not sure what else
to do here. Any ideas?