Syntax highlighting again.

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Fri Apr 16 17:46:52 EDT 2004

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Doug Kearns wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 04:24:59PM +0100, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Doug Kearns wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > I'll have a better look sometime in the next few days but try copying
> > > the file foo to foo.rb, open the both and bounce between them with
> > > CTRL-^

BTW I saw what you meant without toggling...

> > How do I set the alternative filename thing?  I thought if I gave
> > it:
> > vim syntax2 syntax2.rb
> > it would pick these up, but apparently not.
>
> CTRL-^ will edit the previously edited file and when you run the command
> above you don't have one yet so something like:
>
> vim syntax2 syntax2.rb
> :bn
> CTRL-^

Thanks

> or you can prefix CTRL-^ with a count:
>
> vim syntax2 syntax2.rb
> 2 CTRL-^
>
> > I've never noticed cttl-^ before...
>
> Vim's like that... :-)

Yes, very much so.

> > > There's obviously something wrong with the filetype detection, maybe a
> > > bug in vim?
> >
> > Not sure how to get vim to tell me its patchlevel:
> > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Jun 17 2003 18:41:17)
> > isn't what I expected, and is only about 2 months behind the latest
> > I can see on the UK Vim Mirror....
>
> Doesn't :version return 'Included patches' on the second line of the
> output?
:version
VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Jun 17 2003 18:41:17)
Compiled by hgs at gordon
Normal version with X11-Motif GUI.  Features included (+) or not
(-):
-arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset
+cindent[...]

apparently not explicitly patch level 0....