Syntax highlighting again.

Doug Kearns djkea2 at mugca.its.monash.edu.au
Sat Apr 17 02:40:14 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 04:24:59PM +0100, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Doug Kearns wrote:

<snip>

> > I'll have a better look sometime in the next few days but try copying
> > the file foo to foo.rb, open the both and bounce between them with
> > CTRL-^
>
> How do I set the alternative filename thing?  I thought if I gave
> it:
> vim syntax2 syntax2.rb
> it would pick these up, but apparently not.

CTRL-^ will edit the previously edited file and when you run the command
above you don't have one yet so something like:

vim syntax2 syntax2.rb
:bn
CTRL-^

or you can prefix CTRL-^ with a count:

vim syntax2 syntax2.rb
2 CTRL-^

> I've never noticed cttl-^ before...

Vim's like that... :-)

> > There's obviously something wrong with the filetype detection, maybe a
> > bug in vim?
>
> Not sure how to get vim to tell me its patchlevel:
> VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Jun 17 2003 18:41:17)
> isn't what I expected, and is only about 2 months behind the latest
> I can see on the UK Vim Mirror....

Doesn't :version return 'Included patches' on the second line of the
output?