PATCH: added new Test::Unit compiler plugin

Doug Kearns djkea2 at
Wed Apr 7 12:29:03 EDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 12:23:18PM -0400, Sam Roberts wrote:
> Wrote Doug Kearns <djkea2 at>, on Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 11:54:41PM +1000:
> > On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 08:09:15PM +1000, Doug Kearns wrote:
> > > This is a first cut at compiler plugin for Test::Unit that I've had lying
> > > around for a long time - thought it might be an idea to commit it.
> >
> > Any feedback on this would be appreciated.
> I've wanted this for a while, how do I install it?

Stick it somewhere in your runtimepath, such as $HOME/.vim on Unix or
$HOME/vimfiles on Win32. Then type,

:compiler rubyunit
:make mytests.rb
> >     assert_raise(Exception, "Exception should be raised") {}
> >
> > It is currently only trapping the user specified message as the efm
> > error message.
> I don't use those messages, and wouldn't ever, will this still work for
> me?

I thought that might be the case. It will only display the errors when
using :clist! which will be a pain unless you habitually use :cwin which
displays all errors.

eg. I normally have a mapping to run something like

:make % | :cwin

> I don't know the mechanism, but when compiling C code with vim I notice
> that when I do :cn often a truncated message is all I see in the status
> line.  If it wasn't enough, and I don't immediatly know what the problem
> is, I find that doing :cc will print a longer, sometimes multi-line
> message.
> Does that description make sense? That would make me happy with ruby
> test output, too. I do :cn, maybe I see nothing, but the editor took me
> to the line, I can see from the line what it is testing. If I want to
> know the specific values/detailed info, I do a :cc, and there it is.
> What do you think?

Sounds reasonable, I'll see what I can come up with. In the mean time
give it a try, it should still be usable for you, especially if you use