Doug Kearns djkea2 at
Tue Sep 30 22:32:02 EDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 10:15:58PM +1000, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> Guys,
> How do you think we should "version" our neat little package?  Up to
> now, I've just marked them with a date, but something about that kinda
> sucks.  To me, anyway, which is why I want to know what you think.
> For some reason, I figured that version numbers didn't really seem
> right for this, but now I'm not sure.

I'm not fussed, but I've never really been a big fan of 'date-stamp'
> If we did use version numbers, I guess the next release could be a
> 1.0.  But we still want stable and development releases.  I suppose we
> could have 1.0-devel for a while before releasing 1.0-stable.

I'm not sure that there is much point in minor version numbers. I'm
finding it hard to envisage the difference between a major and minor
release but I'm probably just lacking in imagination.
> So we need a version scheme and a CVS tag scheme to go with it.

1.0-pre1 -> 1.0

vimruby-1_0-pre1 -> vimruby-1_0
release-1_0-rc1  -> release-1_0