PATCH: catch some more common regexps and if/unless expressions

Doug Kearns djkea2 at
Fri Sep 19 02:02:21 EDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 02:07:46PM +1000, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> On Thursday, September 18, 2003, 1:30:26 PM, Doug wrote:

> > As for the more convoluted cases, is this:
> > \v\w@<!%(\?%(\\M-\\C-|\\C-\\M-|\\M-\\c|\\c\\M-|\\c|\\C-|\\M-)=%(\\\o{3}|\\x\x{2}|\\=\S))
> > really any easier to read than this:
> > \w\@<!\%(?\%(\\M-\\C-\|\\C-\\M-\|\\M-\\c\|\\c\\M-\|\\c\|\\C-\|\\M-\)\=\%(\\\o\{3}\|\\x\x\{2}\|\\\=\S\)\)
> Yes, it is.  Perhaps not by much, but I think it's hard to argue for
> their equivalence.
> If your point is that I have no idea what either of them mean, then
> you are perfectly correct!

Eh? I think we may be using a different definition of 'read' then. :-)

My original point was that they could certainly be improved. Dyslexic
monkeys with crayons - what can you do?

Your question provoked me to search the VIMRUNTIME dir and it would
appear that the Ada indent and ftplugin files are the only two to make
use of \v. I'm not sure what one can conclude from this though?